Monday, November 26, 2007

Jackson has the Flu....Sad!

After 3 trips to the doctor this week, we have finally found out what is wrong with Jackson...he has the flu (they actually have a flu test that they did up his nose). This morning he had a high fever again (over 102) and just looked completely dazed. It really scared me....he could not even hold his head up or keep his eyes opened. He is highly contagious so we will all probably have it, so pray that we have enough strength to take care of him. He sometimes looks so sad and sick, and he wants me to hold him constantly and reaches up for my neck many times during the day. My doctor was not comfortable giving us tamiflu because of the side effect of hallucinations is high with children under 2 years old, and it only helps them get over it faster by like 1 day. So pray for Jackson. Children under the age of 2 can have complications with the flu such as getting pneumonia. He did not get his flu shot, but believe me we will all have the flu shot at the beginning of October next year. However, the nurse said that they have had many children come in with the flu who had the flu shot this year (so they are not sure if they predicted the right strain of the virus this year). We are not sure where he got it from but we will be here at the house for the rest of the week trying to get better. So keep us on your prayer list. Thank y'all!

How I am treating the Flu:
1. Like any other virus, with a fever, I am giving him children motrin every 6 hours. Tonight I am going to wake up at 3 am to give him his motrin so he does not have such a high fever in the morning.
2. With saline solution up his nose when his really congested and then we blow the mucus out with a blue suction instrument that they gave us when he was born at the hospital.
3. When he is coughing or real congested we go to the guest bathroom and turn the shower on real hot and let the steam break up the mucus.
4. Let him take some naps in our bed with me propped up on pillows
5. I am feeding him with his bottles and formula at night. He is not eating much of anything and he has already lost 1 pound and the doctor said he could loose another one before the flu is out of his system. Last Wednesday he was 22 pounds and 10 oz, today he was 21 pounds and 7 ozs. Today, he only ate 12 ozs of whole milk, and then 6 ozs of formula and 1/2 cup of grits. I even offered him rainbow sherbet and he wanted no part of it.

If anyone has any more suggestions, I am all ears!

6 comments:

Leah F said...

Emily-
I am SO sorry to hear about the flu! I will definitely be praying for you, Charlie and Jackson. Can you and Charlie take tamiflu to prevent your getting it, or help with the symptoms if you do? Rest as much as you can! Praying for you,
Leah

Emily Wallace said...

Jackson's doctor said it was not a good idea to take tamiflu until we take a flu test. She said it could be bad for us if we do not have the flu. The tamiflu only really helps you get rid of the flu a couple days faster and can have really bad side effects. I guess that is why they encourage the flu shot so much because there is really no cure.

Mommy Reg said...

Emily, I can so feel what you are going through. When my kids are sick and congested, I set up the vaporizer so that the air stays moist. My son gets congested a lot and can't breath but this helps reduce the amount of times we have to steam him in the bathroom. I also use children vicks rub just a dab on my kids and that helps too. too bad he is so little to be propped up on pillows. If he stays in one direction in his crb, you can prop up the matterss underneath with rolled blankets so he is more inclined and will have an easier time breathing. Whent hey are younger, I let them sleep in the carseat, or in the swing.
IF the fever gets too high or won't stay down, you can tag team it with baby Tylenol every four hours too. I have had to do that before with one of my daughters, when she gets sick, her fever spikes up to 104+.
Last year, my ids got the flu twice. It was horrible, so this year all of them got a flu shot for the first time.
I'll be praying for health in your family.

Emily Wallace said...

Thanks so much for all the great advice! They think that the air purifier in his room was the cause of the fire so we are still not brave enough to put a vaporizer in his room. He has not had a fever since last night, but now he is real congested and I want to give him children's dimetapp but I am waited for a call from the doctor to make sure it is ok. But he is doing much better today...he is actually playing with his toys right now and I am not having to hold him. Thanks again for the prayers! I cannot imagine having more than 1 child with the flu....

Melinda said...

Praying with you as you treat the flu. Hopefully Jackson will be back to normal soon!

Melinda

PS This is the first time I've seen your blog--it's very encouraging! May God bless your blogging ministry. :)

Emily Wallace said...

Thank you so much Melinda. I was so glad to see your blog as well. It is wonderful! We hope to be back at church soon.