Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Music and What God has Been Has Been Teaching Me

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!
All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near;
Praise Him in glad adoration.

Praise to the Lord, who over all things so wondrously reigneth,
Shelters thee under His wings, yea, so gently sustaineth!
Hast thou not seen how thy desires ever have been
Granted in what He ordaineth?

Praise to the Lord, who doth prosper thy work and defend thee;
Surely His goodness and mercy here daily attend thee.
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do,
If with His love He befriend thee.

Praise to the Lord, O let all that is in me adore Him!
All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before Him.
Let the Amen sound from His people again,
Gladly for aye we adore Him.

Charlie downloaded this song off of itunes, and Travis Cottrell has a great version of this song “Praise to the Lord the Almighty” from the album Alive Forever. It is a great song to worship our great God to!

God has been teaching me so much through reading though Job. I commented on Esther’s blog about one of the chapters and this is what I said. “I hear you! It seems like the friends are never going to relent on poor Job. I have found the study notes helpful during this part of the reading. I think this really does show us the danger of bitter arguments about anything, including what we believe about God. All his friends felt so sorry for Job when they first got to him. Now, they are slowing putting burning coals on his head just to defend their wrong view of God.

God has really been speaking to me through these chapters about arguments. Is my hope when I argue to be proven right? To be vindicated? To emerge spiritual superior? I need to be seeking peace through Christ Jesus. It is not about who wins the argument, but how am I showing Christ's self-sacrificing love in disagreements. Job's friends should have closed their mouths about 10 chapters ago. Proverbs says that with many words sin is not absent. These friends and Job (to an extend) are surely guilty of sin at this point. It sure seems hopeless at this point, but I know that God is soon going to answer Job. Praise God that in His great plan before the foundation of the world, he knew that he would send his Son to be our mediator between us and God. These chapters just really show how sinful we are!”

I am also reading a great book on marriage, When Sinners Say "I Do" (Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage), by Dave Harvey. It is an excellent book, and I hope to blog about it when I am done reading the book.

2 comments:

C.L. said...

Hey Emily, Thank you for sharing! I am always encouraged to read about your walk with Christ and what He is teaching you. I have started getting up with Lael and staying up (usually I sleep during her morning nap because I go to bed too late) and it has helped me keep a consistent quiet time. I remember asking you before how you had a quiet time with a baby and you said during nap time, so that's what I am doing. It is so much better! Thank you for blogging!

Emily Wallace said...

Thank you for being so encouraging! Some days as a stay at home mom, you feel like you are not reaching anyone. But, as you well know, the blog really makes it easy for stay at home mom to reach people literally across the world.

I also do not let myself get dressed for the day, until I have my time to read my daily reading. That helps out a lot, because I really like to go a lot of places, and I do not go unless I have had my time with the Lord.

Have yall moved to England? We need to e-mail and catch up!