Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"Trade These Ashes in for Beauty"

We sang a great newer song in church entitled, "At the Foot of the Cross"

I got this song on itunes and I got the version that Kathryn Scott sings and would highly recommend it.

Lyrics:

Where grace and suffering meet
You have shown me Your love
Through the judgment You received
And You've won my heart
And You've won my heart
Now I can

Chorus:

Trade these ashes in for beauty
And wear forgiveness like a crown
Coming to kiss the feet of mercy
I lay every burden down
At the foot of the cross

Verse 2:
At the foot of the cross
Where I am made complete
You have given me life
Through the death you bore for me
And You've won my heart
And You've won my heart
Now I can


It was emotional for me singing this song on Sunday. Molly always would say that my babies were "a beauty." So, when the line, "Now I can trade these ashes in for beauty," came up for us to sing, I was not able to without crying. It was just a year ago where Molly was doing so great and even able to travel to Charleston for a funeral where she was able to hug and kiss all over my babies.

Another hard thing is explaining death to a 4 year old. Many experts say that children cannot understand abstract concepts till around 7 years old. Mimi and Pop Pop's dog Jack passed away in December and it was really hard for him to wrap his little mind around it. Over Christmas, he asked Mimi if she missed her doggy, and told her that he was in the clouds. He definitely is tender- hearted! He asked this weekend, why did your grandmommy die? I said most people die when they get older and she lived a long wonderful life.

Do you know of any good books explaining death to Preschoolers? Susan recommended When Dinosaurs Die and actually is letting us borrow it right now which is a huge blessing.

No comments: