Wednesday, October 03, 2007

How to Have a Devotion with a 1 Year Old

This has been on my mind a lot recently, so I thought I would share.

1. Jackson loves music, and he especially loves it when children are singing the music. I recommend the Cedarmont Kids cds. They are only $3.99 and kids sing. We just got the cd entitled “Gospel Praise Songs.”and “Bible Songs.” I actually enjoy them and I play them in the car and at home throughout the day

2. Get them a Baby’s Bible. Make it the most important book they have, and get all excited when he reads it. You can even make it a fun game and hide the Bible and try real hard to find it (advice I got from a sheet First Baptist Columbia gave me when he went to nursery there). I got Jackson a Bible entitled Baby’s First Bible (Standard is the company) by Colin and Moira MacLean. This Bible has a handle on it and he likes it. Make it a habit now of reading the Bible to them daily. I try to read him his Bible daily. Charlie has not seen Jackson in 10 days, but will see him Friday and Charlie cannot wait to read him his Bible.

3. Pray with them. The only time I can do this with Jackson is right before he goes to bed, he is real tired here. I read him a night night book (I bought Good Night Boz but I think this book is too old for him) and then we say a quick prayer.

If anyone else has suggestions I would love to hear them!

I know schedules and eating seem like the most important thing in the world now, but in eternity most of that will not make a difference. I would have loved some recommendations before spending hours at the Christian book store, so I thought I would share what has worked for us.

Ps— Lots of moms have asked me which cup works best on Jackson, believe me I have tried them all! The best cup for Jackson is the Playtex-spill proff cup (The First Sipster 7 ozs). I have to fill juice to the top and he actually drinks out of it! Pear juice helps him go to the bathroom (he drinks only like 2 ozs a day). I wish I had started him on this cup at 9 months along with many real food (although my doctor says that they only need 1 tablespoon of "real" food per serving at this age).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love the HIde 'Em in Your Heart cd's by Steve Green...it's children and Steve singing scripture put to music. It's great! Jayne Mac sings the songs all day long, but she is really reciting scripture verses, which is one of the sweetest things to hear. And it's great for mom and dad too...I find myself singing the songs and recalling verses all day long. A plus in the Rhodes' book!

Emily Wallace said...

We will have to get that cd! Thanks so much for letting me know about those cd's. Anyone else have any suggestions, I am all ears! Thanks again Alyssa.

Mommy Reg said...

I think you are on the right track. At this age, songs are the best way to teach them scripture. The Bible story books I love for the toddler years is a series called Read~Aloud Bible Stories by Ella K. Lindvall. There are 4 in the series. The pictures are vivid and simple. The words are perfect for toddlers and young preschoolers. They retail for $19.99 each but you can get them for $13.99 through Christian Book Distributors on-line. I bought mine several years ago when I was teaching preschool. I also use Veggie Tale DVDs, and Max Lucado DVDs. That's what works for me.

Leah F said...

I love the Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones (Zonderkidz). All of the stories clearly point to Christ, and the illustrations are colorful and eyecatching. Keith and Kristyn Getty have a CD called "Songs that Jesus Said", and while they are not directly scripture, they are closely based on scripture. You can check it out here: http://www.gettymusic.com/usa/products.asp?id=107

Emily Wallace said...

Thank you both for the advice. I know what I am going to get Jackson for Christmas now! I really appreciate yall sharing so much!