Monday, October 01, 2007

Update on Andrew--It has been a While



FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2007 12:32 PM, EDT
As I read over the guestbook entries today, I was so touched to see how much support I have through your prayers. My life, it seems, is a testimony to how God never leaves us. Ever.
There was a point early on in my recovery that I had to deal with the physical and emotional pain of losing my legs. This is normal. What was not normal was that I was never once angry with God for doing this. I know myself, and believe me, I should have been very angry. Why me, right? Well God kept me under his wing of protection and guarded me against all sorts of negative thoughts. I continue to be amazed at how much I was aware that God was with me throughout this entire ordeal.
It might seem strange to some, but whenever I was especially hurting, I would picture Jesus standing behind my wheelchair with his hands on my shoulders. I told myself that He has never, and will never, leave me to handle this on my own. It was those moments when I was hurting the most, when I was trying to sort out my problems, that I drew closest to God and sought His grace.
I cannot describe to all of you how much all of your prayers have meant to me. This was also another way that I stayed so positive. Oftentimes I would think about all of the people that were praying for me. I can't even imagine it! To think that so many people pray for me that might not even know me, there's no way I'm going to let you down. Knowing that I was covered in prayer gave me so much energy to work hard in recovery from surgery and in therapy.
The 27th of October is coming up soon. I'm so excited about coming home to Spartanburg. I think the first thing I'll do is go to one of my favorite restaurants and drink about a gallon of sweet tea. Did you know that there's absolutely no decent sweet tea in the city of Washington? My time is up for writing an entry in my journal. I stay pretty busy with therapy and other engagements. Thank you all again for all of your prayers and support.

Andrew

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2007 08:25 PM, EDT
Hello all! Andrew is continuing to do great! I wanted to clarify on my latest post from earlier this month. The city of Spartanburg is hosting a 'Homecoming' event for Andrew--mainly so he has the opportunity to see everyone who's been praying for him and for everyone else to put a face to the person they've been praying for for so long. Any and everyone is invited (Sat. Oct. 27th). He will be returning to Walter Reed the next week though to continue with his physical therapy. With his desire to work on his walking, it will be a while before he's at a point where he can discontinue his therapy. So, he's not officially coming home for good, though he has come so very far this year. This will be a great celebration of what God has done in his life this past year. I have learned more about the power of prayer this year than at any other point in my life. Thank you for loving him in this way!
~Katherine

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 03, 2007 10:10 PM, EDT
Put Saturday October 27th on your calendars. Andrew will be officially coming home that day! We're all very excited. I'm not sure now on details (time and location etc to follow). He's looking forward to speaking and thanking everyone personally for their love and support. This homecoming will be just two days shy of the year anniversary of his accident. I honestly can't believe how far we've come. God is so good!
~Katherine

This was on the front of the caringbridge website: http://www.caringbridge.org/
“I want people to hear his story. The more people he can touch, the bigger impact he can have.”
—Katherine, Andrew’s sister

Lt. Andrew Kinard
Fighting for freedom

Second Lt. Andrew Kinard of the US Marine Corps knows what it means to hold onto his freedom.

Since sustaining massive injuries in a roadside bombing in Iraq in late October 2006, Andrew’s freedom of mobility has changed. But his freedom and passion to live hasn’t.

Andrew, a graduate of the US Naval Academy, lost both legs in the blast and has experienced complications in virtually every area of his body. Nearly 50 surgeries in the four months following the bombing only began to restore Andrew’s normal body functions.

Thousands of people from around the world have followed Andrew’s story through his CaringBridge website. “CaringBridge has been a huge blessing,” says his older sister, Katherine. Through the website, friends and loved ones can keep up with Andrew’s progress.
Prayers that heal

Katherine also uses the site to share Andrew’s prayer requests with his community of supporters.

Hundreds have posted guestbook entries of encouragement and promises of prayer, including Senator John McCain. Katherine believes that Andrew’s healing is bolstered by the awareness that so many people are following and praying for his recovery.

Holding tightly to his faith, Andrew optimistically looks to the future. He says, “I’m alive. I have my arms, my brain. What’s next?” He plans to go to law school after he’s recovered.

Andrew, Katherine and the whole family have a sense of peace about Andrew’s circumstances. They believe this is God’s plan for Andrew and that God will use Andrew to change and inspire others.

No comments: