Thursday, February 14, 2008

Grocery/Out to Eat Challenge: Week 1

My goal was $140 for last week and we spent $150 on BOTH groceries and out to eat food (fast food included) But, I am very happy with this because I really think we have been spending more like $180 a week (I have no clue though which is terrible on my part) The first week is the hardest.

What helped me this week:

  1. Getting $140 out of the ATM and so not thinking we have all this money to do whatever I want to with. It is accountability like Weight Watchers…when you know you have to weigh in the next day you do not eat as much the day before. Knowing I only at one more day with $5, I really thought hard about how to spend that $5.
  2. Going to 3 different Grocery Stores. I went to Kroger the first day of my budget (Thursday) last week and saved $27.44 and I spent $80 Wow! Charlie likes their generic men’s vitamin (he was out) so they actually had a buy 1 get one free sale. I also had coupons for Yoplait yogurt – a 50 cent manufacturer one from couponmom.com. I think I might have had to download something to make them print. Kroger is the best grocery store ever! Everything that I “normally” buy was on sale like Gerber baby stage 3 food and then they give you coupons based on the items you bought. I also went to CVS ….I started small and just bought some M&M candy there that was on sale (I looked at the CVS ad that was free in the store) and got 2 bucks back. Then, I went back to CVS and got some drinks for us and whole milk for Jackson. Jackson’s whole milk only cost me $1 because I was able use by coupon $2 bucks (you can use this money on anything basically except prescriptions). So I did go to CVS twice. I saved $6.37 there at least (I cannot find the other receipt). I also got a coupon online and printed it out for $4 off your next purchase of $20 or more just for giving them your e-mail address. Then, I had a coupon for Piggly Wiggly - Gerber stage 3 baby food that they had given me a couple weeks ago so I spent about $5 on that. I did not go to Walmart all week because I do not get any coupons when I go there…not having to go there all week made my week so joyous.
  3. Do not try new frozen food at Dinner Time, but try it at maybe like lunch Saturday. We tried this frozen shrimp Monday night that I baked in the oven and it just was not good (this is part of the reason we went over $10) and had to go get some fast food.
  4. Print coupons online - http://www.all-coupons.info/index.php is another good site to try.
  5. I am trying to not spend more than $40 a week on Jackson’s food, diapers, and wipes. I have had to think hard about how to do this. I am not going to get him more diapers or wipes till I am completely out. I have a coupon that I got online for $1.25 on huggies diapers and then I have a $2 off coupon for CVS brand items when I spend $10 or more on CVS brands so I am going to get CVS brand diapers (for day time use) and CVS wipes and get then get $2 off.
  6. I found that we spend $15 on drinks last week. That is huge! I am not going to spend more than $10 a week on our drinks, even if we have to drink our sodas in a glass from a liter or just drink water. I cannot believe how much we have been spending on drinks and I always get the 12 pack on sale. There is probably something in your grocery bill every week that you thing you are saving money on because you are getting it on sale, but it reality it might be taking out a huge portion of your grocery budget. Just paying attention to how much everything costs, and keeping all grocery receipts really helps (I am keeping the receipts in a big zip lock bag so when I go back to the store I know exactly how much it is going to cost with tax and everything).
  7. Changes this week (every week is different): I am budgeting more of the $140 for out to eat since I know we have lots of plans this weekend. We will also be getting the paper for the weekends (it comes out to be $2 a week for the weekend paper and if I get $2 worth of coupons it is like we are getting it for free). I did go to Kroger today and spend $50 which was better and I felt like I got a ton of food for the week. I also went to CVS and got Scope and toothbrushes which we needed and got $3 extra buck to spend for the next purchase I make there. You really can make money by shopping at CVS and Kroger

Last Week’s meal plan: (I might be trying out what’s for supper http://www.simplefamilysupper.com/ She has a great blog: http://choosingsimplicity.blogspot.com/) if you have tried it or know about it let me know! If you have suggestions for meal plans let me know.

Thursday
D- 4.99 Frozen Pizza (I went and worked out that night)

Friday
B-Toaster Strudel
L-Grill Cheese Sandwich and chicken noodle soup made for Charlie (I had a slim fast). Jackson has a completely different menu…I know it is like all 3 of us have different menus which makes it hard. I am trying to loose weight not gain it!
D- Charlie spoke at Upwards and had uncrustable Pj sandwich to go from the freezer

Saturday
B-Cereal
L-Zesto’s
D- Out to eat (Parent’s treat)

Sunday:
B-Nutrigrain bar
L-Zaby’s $10
D-Cereal/PJ sandwiches cookies

Monday
B-Charlie has breakfast at the church
L-lunchable meal and pretzels
D-Shrimp and Gritz (Shrimp was on sale at Kroger not so good)

Tuesday
B- Pop tart (Jackson got eggs)
L-Deli sandwich meal (got a $1 coupon off online)
D-Boco chicken sandwiches (Charlie was not a big fan)

Wednesday
B-Nutrigrain bar
L- Raman Noodles
D-Dinner at church

I will try to post weekly how I am I am doing for the next 6 weeks. If you have any suggestions, I am all ears!

9 comments:

Mommy Reg said...

It sounds like you are making progress. If I can suggest a couple of things, Morning Star stuff tastes way better than Boca. Also, I noticed the pop tart and nutrigrain bar. Instead try Kashi granola bars because they are so much better for you especially if you are trying to loose weight. They have so much more nutrition, protien, fiber... Also, stop making 3 different meals. Jackson is old enough to eat pretty much anything you eat as long as you cut it up into small pieces. I haven't bought any baby food since baby G was about 10 months or so. If I give her applesauce, oatmeal, or cream of wheat, I will sprinkle in some Gerber rice cereal to add some extra nutrition but that is it. Baby food is so expensive that at this point it really isn't worth it, and tastes nothing like real food. I do give her canned fruit like pears and peaches instead of giving her carrots or apples like the big kids get. And she loves bananas.
Also, it is so much cheaper to make PB&J's than to buy the crustless ones. If you want them to look like that you can get a crimp & seal from Pampered Chef and it makes those. I do that for the kids sometimes as a special treat.
Man it sounds like I am harping on you. But I don't mean too. I just really want you to see success in lowering your food bill. I know that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you realize you spent more than planned at the grocery store or Wal Mart. I don't wish that feeling on anyone.
I love seeing your commitment with how many stores you are going to and the planning you are doing. I am excited to see more. http://www.savingdinner.com/ is one of the best menu planning sites I have ever seen. You might spend a little more in the beginning while you stock your pantry but you will really be saving a ton of money in the end. She has several sample menus to try first and the meals that I have made are really good. She does have one for loosing weight (she calls it body clutter) Good luck! I am so excited for you.

Emily Wallace said...

Thanks so much for your suggestions! Jackson is a very picky eater so this grocery budget is a challenge (Charlie’s mom said for a while they had to plunge food down Charlie’s mouth when he was Jackson’s age so I guess he gets some of this honestly).

Charlie is not trying to lose weight so the breakfast plan is just for him. I usually have a slim fast in the morning and then a south beach diet meal for lunch. I have tried Kashi before, and they are really filling (some taste better than others)! The PJ sandwiches are frozen and we still have a ton left over (Charlie got to like them when we worked with kids and the kids always had them in their lunch box).Thanks for the suggestions.

The problem I have with Jackson is that he is still getting 3 bottles of whole milk a day. The reason why his eating plan has not changed that much is completely my fault. Everyday that I get ready to change one thing, he is sick, or we have something big planned. Just changing one little thing with Jackson’s food for a day will make him extremely fussy and I just do not want to have to deal with it. I know with the next child I will be more on the ball with trying new foods. It takes Jackson sometimes 5 or 6 times for him to like something. But, I will definitely be trying some fruit but bananas are constipating and Jackson has a hard time with constipation (this is why I love the stage 3 Gerber Pears). Anyway, I feel like my first step is to get rid of the bottles then getting him on more food. I see toddlers his age trying so many new foods and loving them, and I get jealous! He shacks his head no and cries…its bad. I think Jackson could eat the same food every day for the rest of his life and be happy. But, I cannot believe how much I have been spending on food just for him! I will have to go check out that site. If you can think of anything else let me know.

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing all the changes in your grocery shopping. it is really comforting to know that other women have issues spending too much. there are some days that I come home so discouraged b/c I have spent too much. Having 2 in diapers doesn't help either, but luckily Jayne Mac is almost potty trained(just wears pull ups at night). I will agree with mommy reg, though, about the baby food. I fed JM that stuff for the longest time, but got wise with Asher, and started feeding him table food around 10 months. And I must say that Jayne Mac really went through a crazy phase wear she was picky, but her ped. said don't be a short order chef..if she doesn't want to eat what you serve her, then that's it. They really will come around when they are hungry. It seems mean, but it is true. She still has moments of being picky, but I have made it clear that she eats what I make, or she doesn't eat. And if they don't eat you really will save money! Only kidding!
Oh yeah, you can get lots of fruit at Sam's for a little cheaper than the regular grocery store...we have gotten pears from there and they were great. And pears are soft enough for little guys to eat(I just thinly slice them for Asher) or you can always puree a bunch a use that...I have started doing that with veggies and sneaking it in their food whenever I can.
Okay, I have been on my soap box for a while now...I know that it is really hard to try to get everyone eating the same thing, and doing it on a budget. I commend you for tightening the reigns and trying to get things under control. Keep it up, I love reading about your progress!

Unknown said...

HI Emily!! I am a nut about groceries...I think that I get it from my mom! Jordan and I have always set aside $100 cash a week for groceries! Whatever is left after groceries is mine to spend on whatever I want..a great incentive for saving money!! I was going to let you know that if you go to Target.com you can get some awesome deals on diapers and such! I have gotten a ton of things for free by using them!! Bi-Lo also has great buy one get one free!! Their drinks get really cheap!! Kroger brand drinks are REALLY good...the citrus drop one...and REALLY cheap!!
I'm surprised that Jackson will still eat the baby food! Bayne refused it after a while but she didn't completly stop eating it until recently! She loves apples...cooked (so that she can't choke..or cut up REALLY small)..which makes them sweeter(I sometimes add cinnamon too!!) I had to do what alyssa said and just be a butt head and make her eat what was in front of her..if she didn't eat it then she didn't finish eating!! It lasted about 2 meals and she realized that she better eat!! (I felt like such a meanie!!:) ) Instead of fruit, you could also give him wheat toast! Bayne loves that (with a little butter :) ) and she is extremely regular!! hehe!!
I hope that you have fun with your groceries!! I always enjoy seeing how much money I don't spend!!
Talk to you soon!!
Lisa

Emily Wallace said...

Alyssa,

Thank you for your advice. I am definitely going to start to try to give Jackson a lot of new fruits. I am not completely sure on how to puree fruits, but I will do research (if you want to comment on how to puree fruit that would be great as well!). I just want Jackson to have some fruit and veggies everyday. I know it is going to be a hard couple of days, but he has not wanted the baby food for the last couple of days. I think I really went back to the baby food when he had the croup and his tonsils were real swollen and it was hard for him to eat. I will be so much wiser with my next baby (I just recently go him completely off formula which is crazy). Charlie is really excited about my new grocery challenge….it has really been a huge stress relieve for us. He did our updated budget last week and he was on cloud 9 (he did not want to even tell me how much more we had budgeted for me to spend on groceries/out to eat this month).

Lisa,
That is a great incentive to spend less on groceries. It is hard work to spend less on groceries. Jackson just today really started to refuse baby food so it is back to the grocery store for me. I really appreciate all the tips. I had tried Walmart brand drink and they were bad so I will have to try some Kroger drinks (I like the diet drinks which can be really bad in the generic drinks). How long do you cook the apples? 5 or 10 minutes on 350 in the oven?

Yall have encouraged me to not worry about him not eating what I feed him. I guess he just has never been very big and he is in the 25 percent so I give in more because I do not want him to be a very small boy. But, I am already getting some terrible 2 meltdowns when he does not get his way, so I know he is always testing me. I need to post on that. How do you handle it when your toddler has a tantrum in the middle of the store because he is not getting what he wants? Give him a cracker so he will be quiet? When we are at home I say if you do that again, you will get a spanking and then I have the spanking spoon that I spank him with, and then I isolate him in his crib for like a minute or two. But, it is hard when you are in the middle of the restaurant and his throws his food and starts yelling because he is frustrated and does not want to eat what has been given him (not to mention I know that his teeth are killing and he has like 5 coming through) Wow, did not mean to get off on that.

I just realized that I did not think I have been clear with the grocery challenge. The $150 was what we spent on BOTH grocery and all of our out to eat food. I need to change some of this post I think.

Thank you both for the advice, I really REALLY appreciate it!

More than Survival said...

Emily, Thank you for linking to my blog and to Simple Family Supper! It is my passion to take the stress out of supper and to keep things frugal (not EXTREME frugal, but budget friendly!)! Keep working on this... make gradual changes... stock up on sales....
Heather

Anonymous said...

Hey! About the pears, I would just use a food processor, or I guess a blender would work as well. You might have to cook them for a little while to get them a little soft, but I am not sure about that...haven't actually tried to puree pears before. I'll look into it some more and let you know...I've got myself curious now! Hope you had a great weekend!

Emily Wallace said...

Thanks Alyssa

The last two days he has been refusing to eat Baby food and he has so many teeth now, I do not think he needs his fruit mushed down at all. I was just wondering what you did. Thanks again for all the advice.

lindler5 said...

i am just getting around to checking blogs - and am reading your grocery dilemna. i am NOT a coupon cutter BUT i only shop the sales for non-neccesities.

publix is my store of choice - you can get some really fantastic deals on the "buy one get one free" sales. i run through & buy whatever has a white tag. this week - cheerios, fruit cups, english muffins are bogo. i stocked up.

i buy fruit according to what is on sale also - the kids never know what color their apples are going to be.

i still spend $150 or more a week it seems, but i could definately cut that down if i tried.

i look forward to reading more of your tricks!