Wednesday, February 20, 2008

All Three of Us Got the Stomach Flu at the Same Time. . . So Sad!


I was going to post video from the zoo, and another post, but the stomach flu hit us all Monday night about the same time believe it or not.

First, Jackson woke up with throw up everywhere in his crib. The bad thing with him, is that when I leaned him over the trash can, he could not get anything up....the only way he could get anything up was if he was somewhat laying down. Praise God in his mercies that it was not nearly as bad on Jackson as it was for us.

I think Charlie started vomiting at like 1:30ish and then I started at around 3 am. Charlie was in the guest room and the guest room bathroom, and I was in our room with Jackson in our bed. Jackson stopped at 3 am and did not throw up again till 3 pm the next day and only 1 time. Charlie and I threw up probably like 10 times, and got pretty dehydrated which made it very hard to take care of Jackson and clean up all of Jackson's throw up.

That is probably all the details I can stomach and you can stomach as well, but praise God we are all doing well now. If Jackson had continued to be sick throughout that night, I do not know what we would have done. For Jackson, the nurse recommended cracker, yogurt, and basically everything that adults eat when we get sick. But, Jackson got pretty dehydrated yesterday and the nurse said formula would be ok to give him, so I went back out and gave him the sensitive formula he used to drink, and he has been a new person every since. It really helped him so much. I tried everything yesterday before giving him the formula... water, pedia-light through a bottle, we even tried giving him a Popsicle (he only ate a little bit of the Popsicle). The whole milk made him have diarrhea. He did, however, take 1 sip of my Gatorade and he could keep yogurt down but he only wanted 1 per day. It was bad around 5 pm yesterday when his mouth got real dry and his diaper was not wet for like 6 hours, but the nurse said not to be alarmed until it had been like 12 hours and by 24 hours if this was still going on we would have to go and get an IV. This virus just has lingered more with Jackson, but he really has not been fussy hardly at all and he has actually played a lot this week. We could hardly move, but Jackson was vacuuming the floor with his little vacuum cleaner.

The doctor called in for us phenergan which really knocked us out. On Tuesday, I was pretty dehydrated, my legs have never hurt that bad. I guess it did not help that I went to Step class on Monday morning.

After going through hard times, I am always so much more thankful for little things in life, like feeling normal. I have praised God every day that Jackson did not have it has bad as us (the croup was way worse for him as far as being very upset and crying all day)....it was so bad for us. Charlie and I had a hard time standing for long periods of time. Pray that Jackson can continue to fight off all these illnesses. I knew he would get sick some, but Jackson getting 1 major illnesses a month since November is really hard, but I know it is "normal."

* The picture above is of Jackson passed out at church on Sunday (guess he was already starting to be tired/sick here)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that yall are doing better. Asher woke up in the middle of last night throwing up. Luckily he has been fine today...just real tired. Last year, around this time, JM, Sammy and I all got the stomach bug. It was awful, b/c Asher was still so young and I was strictly nursing him. So between throwing up and fighting a fever I would nurse Asher every 4 hours. I was just so thankful that my milk didn't dry up. So, I totally know how yall felt this week, and therefore know how glad yall are to be feeling better!

Emily Wallace said...

I hate to hear that Asher got sick last night. It is so hard. It is strange, whenever Jackson throws up, he is really not that upset about it. I do not really understand it, but I count it as a blessing! Thanks for the encouraging words. Let us know when your little girl is due.