Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Getting Back to Spending only $75 on Groceries and Out to Eat Food Weekly No Matter How I Feel!

I cannot wait until I start to feel better again to get back to not overspending on groceries and dining out. I have to just accept that I am going to feel bad and sneeze my head off every other day during this pregnancy. Since gas and grocery prices have raised dramatically it is now even more important for me to be focused on being frugal with our money. I have been feeling bad sneezing all the time, and just have been so exhausted that I actually have been getting in the bed at like 9:30! I have no idea how much we have been spending on groceries and dining out recently. Monday night I cut coupons (while watching John and Kate plus 8) for an hour. I got some amazing coupons on diapers, deodorant, yogurt, hamburger helper (we will have one night for dinner), spray and wash, cereal, Lysol wipes, Benadryl, etc. I cut about $50 worth of coupons since I have not cut any coupons the last 3 weeks. The key is to not cut coupons for snack items or items that you would not normally buy. You are always going to need deodorant, diapers, etc.

So, I am going back to the basics which is not cutting coupons, but meal planning!

Some accomplishments since I have been reading moneysaving mom’s blog daily beginning at the end of January 2008.

  1. I have spent $340 at CVS and according to them I have saved $320…wow
  2. I have a stock of toilet paper - maybe 3 to 6 months worth - just buy buying it at CVS when I could earn money for it. Many weeks if you buy $20 worth of Paper Towels or toilet paper you will earn $10 to spend anyway you want in the store
  3. I rarely buy an item that is not on sale or that I do not have a coupon for (most people who use coupons have at least a college degree according to moneysaving mom)

Goals for this Year:

  1. Have 3 to 6 months of income in savings that I do not touch and to be debt free (we have little to no debt).
  2. Start saving for a car that we can hopefully one day just pay for. I do not want to have a car payment while gas prices are this high. If anyone knows how to get the best deal on a used Honda Odyssey I am all ears! We might have to wait another year or two until we save up at least half of the total cost of the car.
  3. To only spend $75 on groceries a week - not the $150 we always seem to do
  4. To have 3 to 6 months of supplies of items we always need like detergent, toilet paper, etc.
  5. Read some money saving books. Anyone have any recommendations? My first two choices are Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace and Miserly Moms

What I am going to do This Week:

  1. Meal Plan!
  2. Buy $20 worth of paper towels and batteries at CVS and earn $10 back that I will buy milk, Desitin, deodorant, etc. I also have coupons for the new ALL detergent and Lysol wipes that are on a great sale at CVS.
  3. Get creative when the $75 runs out

What we are NOT willing to Give up:

  • Our soft drinks! But we have gotten creative. Right now Walmart has soft drinks for $2.50 for 12 pack. Also, I do enter cokereward points every month and last month I got this awesome grill cheese machine maker (and it makes omelets as well) for FREE. When soft drinks are not on sale at Walmart or CVS, Kroger has great generic brand soft drinks for like $2.30 for a 12 pack always.

Changing Our Mindset

  • This has been the hardest for me. We have to make sacrifices like not going to restaurant to be debt free and have an emergency fund. If you are not willing to make sacrifices then this will never work.
  • Maybe you do not go on a vacation this year. Is the concept of a vacation even Biblical? It is nice to have a vacation but not a necessity. To save money means to live and budget under what you actually make!

I would love to hear any advice on how to cut back more on our grocery/out to eat budget! Anything been working well for you recently?

Here is the tentative Meal schedule:

Friday
B-Cereal
L-Bagel Bites
D- Party Chicken

Saturday
B-Pancakes?
L-McDonalds
D- Barbeque $18

Sunday:
B-Nutrigrain bar
L-Zaby’s $10
D-Cereal/PJ sandwiches or Breakfast food

Monday
B-Charlie has breakfast at the church
L-Leftover Pizza
D-Hamburger Helper with Salad

Tuesday
B- Pop tart
L-Roman Noodles
D-Chicken Pasta

Wednesday
B-Nutrigrain bar
L- Egg salad sandwiches made the night before
D-Dinner at church

Go here for more meal ideas for this week (Menu Plan Monday): http://orgjunkie.com/2008/06/menu-plan-monday-june-23rd.html

3 comments:

Leah F said...

Hey, the Wal-Mart price on sodas is great, and Target has Coke products and Dr. Pepper on sale for $3/case, which is also a good price. Also, for diapers, Target has their big box on sale for $19.99--if you buy two Pampers/Bounty/other specific items, you will get a $5.00 gift card. AND if you look at www.babycheapskate.com this week, they have a link to a Target coupon for $5.00 off Pampers diapers and wipes. So you could get $5.00 off the $19.99 box (wipes would be extra, of course), plus if you buy two, or you buy paper towels, etc., you get $5 gift card. Not too shabby--I just did this myself! :-) Thanks for the encouragement to save, save, save!

Anonymous said...

I love going out to eat. Plus, my milk or lettuce always goes bad. I rarely cook anything. Busy schedule and what not. Especially with these gas prices, might as well just grab something on the way home instead of making multiple trips to the store. If you have been struggling with gas prices. Here's a cool promo. TWO FREE TACOS DAY!!! All you have to do is go to any Jack In The Box and present any gas fill-up receipt. That's it. Like magic, you'll get TWO FREE TACOS!!! Check it out here:
http://jackinthebox.com/twofreetacosday/index.php?Campaign=MW-TFT-MB

I am sooooo making a day out of it with all the receipts I have lying around.

Emily Wallace said...

Leah
Thanks so much for letting me know about all the great Target deals. We do not have a super Target here, but I think "normal" Targets have those deals as well. With diapers I usually by Walmart's brand Parent's Choice for Jackson to wear during the day and then I get a great deal on Huggies box of diapers (I think it is $19.99 for a huge box) for him to wear during the night. I am going to check out that gift card at Target this week. Moneysaving mom says you can also print out Target coupons at the gift registry. Thanks for letting me know about all those great deals!