Monday, March 17, 2008

How to have a Devotion with an 18 month old

God gets all the glory for me still reading the Bible through every day. I am still not behind on my reading…it really is a miracle. So, I am reading through Deuteronomy now, and Moses has a lot to say about teaching your children.

First did you know that Deuteronomy is really three huge speeches made by Moses? I guess I always forget this fact, but since I am listening to the Bible on cd, the voice is of the same person which is quite different then most all other books in the Bible.

Deuteronomy 11 verses 19-20 states, “Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home, and when you walk along the road, when you lie down, and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your house and your gates,”

I’ve always thought about the fact that we need to teach our children throughout the day about God and God’s ways and words. But, I have never really thought about that we need to teach God’s laws and ways to our children even when we get up in the morning.

Jackson thrives on schedule. My dad pointed out to me yesterday that Jackson will let you read his entire Bible book only after he has had his bath and is about to go to bed. He knows that after he gets his bath, it is time to read God’s Word. During the day, he does not have too much patience for sitting with you and reading because the day time is play time. Unfortunately, it is hard to get Jackson to do a new schedule of events.

Anyway, I really want Jackson to start attempting to sing a blessing song before each meal. What song do you sing before you bless each meal with your little ones? I would love to know! What are the words to the songs you sing to bless your food?

This is my advice with on how to have a devotion with an 18 month old

  1. Always read the Bible to him daily. It does not have to be before bed, but this seems like a good time when the whole family can be there. If you do it every day for 3 days, you have created a new schedule!
  2. Try to teach him how to fold his hands and pray before meals, and before bedtime.
  3. Sing songs of worship all day long to him. In the morning, I sing “Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory, etc.” This will soon include a blessing song before each meal

What are ways you have devotions with little ones this age?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is wonderful! I have a month old and I figure reading the Word to him will not return void. If for nothing else it teaches him it's normal to read the Word. I'm excited to hear about your ideas. Blessings!

Merritt Pace said...

Hi, Emily! My husband and I recently joined First Baptist, and we have enjoyed reading your blog. Actually, Charlie was the first person we saw when we joined!

Our son, Samuel, is three. When he was two, I taught him "God is Great." You can use it as a blessing chant or song. Samuel loves it, and learned it easily.

As far as devotions, I love the weekly sheets that we get from FBC Sunday School. The stories and pictures are very simple, and I like to reinforce what he has learned at church.

You might enjoy my blog, too!
http://thepacespace.blogspot.com/

Have a blessed Easter!
Merritt P.

Emily Wallace said...

Thanks so much Onna and Merritt!

Merritt, I am so glad to see your blog! It is great. I look forward to getting to know you better at FBC. You are such a blessing, and we are so glad that you have joined FBC. Thanks for the great advice, and I hope to see you Sunday. If you have any questions about anything feel free to e-mail Charlie or me (EmilyWallace80@hotmail.com)!