Monday, March 31, 2008

New Cleaning Schedule

I have a new cleaning schedule based on our new house and our new schedule here. We do have three bedrooms and two baths, but one bedroom is not being used right now.

Mondays- Clean and dust off the master bedroom and Jackson’s bedroom

Tuesdays- Wash two huge loads of laundry so there will be no planned cleaning (right now I am teaching a Bible Study on Tuesday night, so this is a very busy day for us)

Wednesdays- Clean both bathrooms very well (this only takes about half the amount of time it used to take me since we have a new house!)

Thursdays- Mop (with the swifter) floors in the mudroom and in the kitchen. Clean both the kitchen and the mud room. This is the day devoted to cleaning out the refrigerator as well which seems to always need cleaning. I also wash Jackson’s clothes on this day or on Fridays.

Fridays- Clean and dust the living room

Saturdays- Vacuum the entire house, clean the guest room and clean out Jackson’s clothes and get them organized. Any other projects that need to be done, we will do this on this day

Sundays- No cleaning…way too busy of a day! I might clean out the car on this day if I have any time.

* Note: Some days I do not get the cleaning done during the day, so while Charlie has alone time with Jackson at night, I clean then using a timer so I can stay on track or better yet Charlie helps me clean at night before bed. I have such a wonderful, selfless husband!

If I were you I would try to make your own cleaning schedule out on what days are the busiest for you. You can make out your own schedule by looking at mine and starting with the rooms that you feel are the most important to be clean for health reasons. For me dusting our rooms actually is the most important aspect to clean since we all struggle with allergies - so that is why dusting is on Monday. If you are a mom, you know that it seems like you are always cleaning, loading and unloading the dishwasher etc. I remember the days when the biggest task was making up the bed. Now, sadly, the only time the bed is made up is at night before I go to bed to get the covers all straight…

Additionally, I am giving myself a treat on Saturday if I have tried hard to stick to the cleaning schedule. My treat is that on Saturday, I get to go shopping (not necessarily buying anything) for decorative items for the house. We are slowly turning Jackson’s room to a Gamecock themed room. This theme he will have for a very long time. I just do not want to keep on changing his room and he already says “Gamecocks” a good bit. Charlie’s mom made him a beautiful “Gamecock” bookcase this week using items from our rehearsal dinner. I cannot wait to post a picture of it…it really is unbelievable!

I would love to hear about your cleaning schedule!

5 comments:

lindler5 said...

i am in the process of figuring out my own cleaning schedule. with five in the house, it is an unending pile of laundry. i am trying to do 2 loads/day at designated times.

i am also trying to do the menu planning deal - grocery shopping once/week.

this home manager dealy-o is harder than it seems.

Anonymous said...

I too try to stick to somewhat of a cleaning schedule- one specific, major task each day, along with keeping the kitchen and toys cleaned up throughout the day (not easy with 3 little ones)... one thing that we are really working harder to do, however, is have a designated Sabboth day. Of course, Sundays cannot be a Sabboth for us (like you) since it is a work day. So we are trying for Saturdays to be a Sabboth. I don't have any scheduled cleaning for that day...I just try to keep our dishes and toys picked up. Sometimes we do have commitments we have to be at, but we both work hard to not schedule anything in particular on that day. Keeping a Sabboth is so difficult in this day and age, but those days when we have absolutely nothing on the schedule are such fun times with our kids! Take care!
-Callie

C.L. said...

that's fantastic! This past Sunday, Artur and I j ust sat down and made a similar schedule for ourselves. We made a list of goals for the week and then appointed special days for every goal. It's Tuesday and so far, it's been really helpful and motivating. I've always been a highly scheduled and list-oriented person, but sometimes too much so, so I have to learn to discipline myself to not do so many lists and have too many expectations for the day, especially with a baby! My list looks similar to yours and I started making a meal plan as well. I only hope Artur and I can be consistent! Thanks so much for your encouragement!

Emily Wallace said...

Ashley-I cannot image the amount of laundry you have to do in a week. I have a friend who has 3 under 4 and another one on the way. Here is a link to her schedule and her cleaning schedule: http://goodlikeamedicine.com/familyschedule.pdf Also, money saving mom says that meal planning is the foundation for saving money. She says if you do not meal plan that, you will not really save money. I am so glad to hear that you are doing that! Being a stay at home mom is definitely the biggest joy of my life and the biggest challenge!

Callie-Thank you for the encouraging us to remember to honor the Sabbath. We try not to plan to go anywhere on Saturday as well but there always seems like there is a wedding or something that we need to do on Saturday. Many weekends I do vacuum the whole house on Friday. Thanks again girl! Do you have a specific cleaning schedule you go by?

Caitlin- I am glad to hear that you have a cleaning schedule. I would love to hear what your new cleaning schedule is sometime! Thanks so much for your encouraging words. It is great to hear from you!

Anonymous said...

I especially love the cleaning schedule.