Friday, January 09, 2009

A Friend and an Encourager: My Friend Anna's Blog


When I was in college I was very active at Shandon Baptist Church's college ministry. I was on their leadership team and I was responsible for contacting people who had visited Shandon in my apartment complex, the Commons. Anna visited Shandon and I contacted her. I was so excited to meet her and we had a lot in common. I think I did call her more than once and we started our friendship then. We were good friends in college and went to Bible Study together and shared our struggles together. She was able to attend my wedding and we did lose touch after I went to seminary, but thanks to facebook we were able to reconnect again. After moving back to Columbia, Anna and I went to lunch and I discovered that she was a Labor and Delivery Nurse at Richland Hospital, the hospital where I was planning to deliver. She did have a medical mission trip she was going on at the end of November so I was scared she would not be able to help deliver Abigail, but God in his grace allowed her to help deliver my baby girl.

She was so much help during the delivery when the pitocin was not working. She did have to hold the baby's head in until the doctor could get there. I only had to push Abigail out with 4 quick pushes....what a blessing!

Her first blog post mentions me, but it is really about what God has done through her life and He gets all the glory. I was just happy to be an instrument in his hands. This post made me cry because right now being at home with two little ones, I feel like I am having no impact for Christ. This post really shows the power in just inviting a friend to church (maybe even more than one time). This post really encouraged me! Check it out.

http://annab128.blogspot.com/2009/01/story-begins-here.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay, yeah i just cried too!

Merritt Pace said...

Emily,
I think that you reach out to people more than you know. You meet/talk with Moms who are new to FBC and make them feel at home. You were one of the first people that I met at FBC, and you (and Charlie) made our family feel so welcome. Thanks for your friendship!