Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wednesday's Word: Power over Fear

"When I am afraid, I will trust in You."

Psalm 56:3

Last Sunday I taught my 4th grade girls Sunday School class on Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. The title of the lesson from Lifeway was "Power Over Fear," it was a great lesson.

It is so funny, it seems like I am the one who always teaches on worry, fear, etc. Worrying is definitely a struggle for me.

I made all the girls right down on their sheet that:

God works out all the bad things that happen to you for your good and His glory.

Even though bad things will happen here on earth, God uses it to show his glory and will use it for a purpose (Romans 8). Even if you fail a test, which many of my girls were concerned about, God can use it to help you become more like him. God can use it to help you die to yourself and depend on him, which is an ultimate goal God has for your life.

I have realized that worrying comes straight from your thought life, and if you do not believe that God is in control and is a good God, you will live in a life that is full of anxiety over everything.

Some application from the lesson was for the girls to:

Pray when they are afraid
Remember Bible verses
Remember that God is with you or
talk to an adult.

What do you do when you are afraid?

I usually do pray that in Jesus powerful name that _____________ will not happen. I also pray that if the bad thing does happen that God will show me how he is using it for my good and to show His glory. I also pray that God gives me a peace that surpasses all understanding. Our hope is not in the temporal things of this world, but in our risen Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments: