Wednesday, February 03, 2010

New Books We Are Working on


Jackson is still going to Oak Grove Elementary School on Thursday mornings at 7:45 am for speech (one hour sessions). He has done really well in January and is speaking in 4 or 5 word sentences now. He is saying so much in speech his teacher says she is having a hard time writing it all down. She said last time he was like, "Look, that is a diamond shape." I am so thankful! This time last year he was hardly saying anything. Now, he is almost non-stop talking...if I will not listen, he will talk to himself.

Every month they try to work on one specific book every therapy session. The books they are now working on for February are Emma Kate by Patrica Polacco, and The Three Bears by Paul Galdone. I got both of these books off half.com for under $5. I will not pay more than $5 (this includes shipping) for any book or dvd I buy for them, because we are at the stage where books get eaten by our little goat, Abigail. I am so excited about these new books!

I still do school time daily with the kids since they are not going to Preschool. I have started strapping Abigail down in her seat during this time as well and doing activities with her (we are trying for her not to use her pacifier during the day).

Here is our current 'school' schedule at home:

Mondays: Car and block day (he works on copying what I build)
Tuesdays: Bubble day
Wednesday: Puzzle day
Thursday: Animal day
Friday: Art day
Saturday: practice ball (putting, soccer, etc).

At the end of "school" time (they are both strapped down) they get a Popsicle as a treat. This kills some time and is good exercise for their mouths.

With Jackson, we are working on obeying Mommy the first time I ask him to do something. This requires me really meaning what I say, and getting down on his level, making eye contact, and speaking in a calm but stern voice. If he does an action that deliberately hurts his sister, or harms himself (i.e. running out in the middle of the street), he gets a spanking with the "rod." (wooden spoon).

Proverbs 13:24, "He who spares the rod, hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him." Proverbs 22:15, "Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him."

Ultimately, my primary goal for my children is to know Jesus. Jesus' death and resurrection is their only hope. My goal for my children is to teach them to strive to live a life where their goal is to die to themselves and depend on God.

How we live this out in their little lives may look like this: when my kids are sick, we lay hands on whoever is sick and pray in Jesus name that He will heal them. When mommy struggles with something, I pray out loud to the Holy Spirit that He will give me strength to overcome whatever I am struggling with. When Jackson is obsessing over what PJ's he is going to wear at night, and who got the certain PJ's for him, if it is us, I say, "Mommy and Daddy got them. Daddy works very hard so we can have money to have PJ's. But ultimately, Jesus graciously gave us our money and everything we have." God is completely in control (it might not be our plan but it is His plan, everything that happens to us that we have no control over). Also we sing such songs as, "Yes, Jesus loves me" and read stories daily all about Jesus from Read Aloud Bible Stories.

I have really been thinking a lot recently about parenting goals and how to practically live them out. One of my friends recently experienced an extreme family tragedy. There really were no words that I could say to comfort her. However, the Holy Spirit gave me words for her through a song. I texted her and said, "Our hope is built on nothing less than Jesus Christ and His righteousness". He is the only reason we can get out the bed the next day, he is our ONLY HOPE. We can keep our eyes fixed on Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith. The Holy Spirit will give you the strength (that you do not think you havr) to set your hearts and your thoughts on Jesus. Our only hope is His blood and His righteousness. That is my "sermon" for today...ha!

No comments: