Tuesday, August 26, 2008

How We Spent Less than $130 on both Groceries and Out to Eat Food This Week

I have to admit, I have been really discouraged with our grocery/out to eat budget for the last three weeks. One week we spent $180 and then the next week we spent $200. Ah! That is ridiculous. Here are the four reasons/excuses on how this happened:
  1. During July we had VBS for a week and then went out of town and I just did not go major grocery shopping or use any coupons for two weeks.
  2. Because of the lack of shopping on my part for those two weeks, one week I had to spend $115 on groceries alone
  3. Many of my coupons were about to expire on really good deals on food we usually eat, and I went ahead and bought these foods...I went over our weekly budget to stock up.
  4. Jackson got off of milk and I have had sympathy for him and have been getting him kids meals at fast food places for lunch
Here is how we spent less than $130 on groceries and out to eat food this week:
  1. Because I spent so much the last week and stocked up on breakfast foods, I did not have to make a major Kroger shopping trip this week.
  2. Dream Diners has helped so much this week! My goal is to cook at least 3 to 4 nights a week. One night a week we cook breakfast food which is really cheap and yummy. I have cooked three dream dinners and we only went out to eat one night this week
  3. CVS had deals on drinks, and shampoo and I earned money for buying these items and had CVS extrabucks to use for this purchase. To view all CVS deals for this week go to http://www.moneysavingmom.com/
What do you think, is it worth it to go over on your budget one week to save the next week (and still keep within your monthly budget)? If you have any suggestions on how to keep our grocery/out to eat budget down, I would love to hear from you!

4 comments:

Mommy Reg said...

One thing I have learned about budgeting is that you need to expect to go over on the crazy weeks. There are weeks where I spend half of what I normally do because the previous week, I stocked up on the sales. What my goal always is, is to stock up and buy only sale items on any week so that I always have a full pantry/freezer. Then during the times I can't get to the store, I know I still have food. Then the next shopping trip, I start to stock again. This plan doesn't always go off without a hitch if I don't get enough of a sale item but I do find that in the long run, I average less per month when I shop this way. Of course things like produce, milk, cheese, eggs and bread are always on the list. But if bread is on sale, I buy an extra loaf or two and freeze them. Also, shredded cheese freezes well so I will buy an extra one of those if it is on sale.
For us, this works and I have been able to eat out of the pantry on the weeks when we can't afford a lot of groceries. We were able to eat out of the pantry only buying milk and produce for 3 weeks because the pantry and freezer were stocked. So be encouraged if you go over one week because of sales and stocking up that you will probably spend less the next week and it will all even out or maybe when you look over the whole month of spending, it will be less than you budgeted.
Oh-I just have to tell you. I found out that in January we are supposed to get a CVS! I am so excited I can't wait to start saving money by shopping there. Now, if we could only get a grocery store that doubles coupons.... oh, well, one new store at a time I guess.

Unknown said...

We are doing the Dave Ramsey plan so I get cash out for groceries and dining each month. I draw cash ($180) on the 1st and the 15th for groceries. I don't go over that. I usually have some left over at the end of each month for splurges, etc. This works great with dining too. You take it easy for a month or two then you have a build up on cash and can coast for a while. Sounds like you're really trying and watching, which is most of the battle! I have also found that meal planning, even if it is to write down that you are making Mac n' cheese, helps!

Leah F said...

I don't think it is a problem to go over one week as long as you remember that you went over, and can adjust accordingly later. My 'weakness' is to spend heavily shortly after payday, and then have our budget be running really low at the end of the pay cycle...and of course, that is inevitably when you need not only bread and milk, but laundry detergent and diapers too! Most of the time, though, one 'over budget stock up' week will be balanced out by the end of the month. The worst you can do is try it and see how it goes! Thanks for the encouragement to stick to a budget faithfully!

Emily Wallace said...

Mommy Reg-

I am so glad to hear you do the same thing. I guess my fear is that I will be so over on our monthly grocery bills (because of going so over one week) that I will have no money at all at the end of the month. I am so glad to hear that yall are getting a CVS. You will save so much money you will not even believe it. Kroger is great because they double my coupons but only up to a $1.00. So if I have a coupon for a $1.00 off I usually go to Walmart to use it since Kroger will not double it (that might make you feel better about not having a grocery store in your area that doubles your coupons).

Jamie-
I love Dave Ramsey and try to listen to his podcast weekly. I have not gotten a chance to read one of his books but that is next on the list after reading The New Strong Willed Child (Dobson). It is so good to hear that you use his methods…he has helped moneysaving mom as well. Let me know any other tips you have learned from him and what your favorite book is that Dave Ramsey writes.

Leah-
I do the same exact thing. When we get paid I will spend like $100 on groceries and on items we do not really “need” like desserts. Then the end of the month comes and we suffer for it…I have got to learn to budget that better. I loved reading you “to do” post before the baby comes. We have got to start getting ready for Abigail…I have not even registered for items for her yet but I am definitely staring to get motivated. It is sneaking up on us!

It is so great to hear from all of you!