Thursday, October 16, 2008

Interesting Passage from Yesterday's Bible Reading

Still reading through the Bible chronologically. I definitely have been focusing a lot of my time and attention on working with Jackson and his speech issues. It is taking up a lot of time, time where I could be focusing on loving God with all my heart and worshiping him.

Matthew 10: 37-39 (NASV)
"He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it."

Am I really loving God more than my family? Where my time is, that is where my heart is.

Another interesting passage:

Matthew 10:42
" And whoever in the name of a disciple gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water to drink, truly I say to you, he shall not lose his reward."

I had never really thought about this passage being about children utill yesterday. We looked up the phrase "little ones" in the Greek and it literally means "a little one." Matthew did not use the Greek word for children (padia) here so the word used could mean "a lesser person."

My study notes really clear this up by stating: "How much we love God can be measured by how we treat others. Jesus' example of giving a cup of cold water to a thirsty child is a good model of unselfish service. A child usually can't or won't return the favor." So all you hard working children ministry teachers listen up: you are showing how much you love God by teaching 'little or lesser ones', and you surely will not lose your reward here on earth or in heaven.

PS-Hopefully we will be going to the state fair tomorrow with FBC so be on the look out for pictures!

No comments: