Monday, November 20, 2006

Update on Andrew-November 20, 2006




This is Andrew getting his first haircut


SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 19, 2006 09:50 PM, EST

I am writing to you all tonight from the hospital just a few floors up from where Andrew is sleeping. I had such a special time with my brother today. They have lowered his level of sedation, and so he was so much more aware today than any other day. I stood there rubbing his head for a while and asked the nurse if he knew I was there. The nurse yelled in his ear and his eyes just shot wide open. I looked straight into his eyes and I knew it was my brother. I knew he knew it was me. We just held each others gaze for a long time. He couldn't move much or see much more than my eyes because of my face mask, but he knew it was me. It was such a deep connection. I just know that he is going to be alright. I sang "Jesus Loves Me" in his ear. You see, Andrew and I know that song very well. Our mom would sing that to us, as well as Courtney and Will, every night before we were put to bed. It just felt like that was the right song to comfort him with. It's hard to even find the words to say. I wanted to say so much. I wanted to take away all of those tubes and supports and just embrace him. After I finished singing quietly, he seemed as if he were trying to speak. With the ventilator in his mouth, I couldn't make out what he was wanting to say, but I didn't have to. His eyes said it all.

My parents are doing well and soon we'll all be together as a family again. It just feels so much better to be here with them...to be here with Andrew.

"Now I know that the Lord saves His annointed; He answers him from His holy heaven with the saving power of his right hand." Psalm 20:6


SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2006 11:06 PM, EST

I will be flying into Washington tomorrow morning. I can’t wait to see my brother! I have missed him so very much. I just want to see him, give him a kiss, and let him know how much I love him. It has been hard to be away. I will be bringing my daughter Caroline tomorrow and the rest of the family (my husband Charles, Courtney and Will) will all be there by Wednesday. This should be a very special Thanksgiving…

Cp. Brendan McCormick called me today from Iraq. He called to answer any questions I may have and also to let me know that Andrew has been nicknamed “The Miracle” by all the guys in Iraq. Brendan was also with my brother when the incident occurred. He said that he has seen a lot of death and injuries over there and many who were less injured than Andrew would die. He said he was sure he would die. But, he didn’t! According to a friend who Andrew spoke with before he left, Andrew said that he knew God wasn’t sending him over to Iraq for him to die there. I feel like Andrew knows that God has a lot more in store for him here on earth.

Andrew is continuing to improve. His temp has looked good now for over 3 days, his blood pressure is good and his lungs are almost back to normal. They will be looking into doing skin grafting probably next week. His kidneys continue to be an area of concern and his condition overall continues to be critical. What is on my heart the most is for all of us to pray for his emotional adjustment to his injuries when he wakes up. He has such a long road ahead of him. As a sister, I don’t want him to hurt. I don’t think there’s one of us in my family who wouldn’t take his injuries and put them on himself. We will all be there for him. I just ache for the pain that he will suffer. Please lift up his heart to God. I thank all of you for your love and concern for my brother. We are very blessed.

~Katherine

No comments: